Book Review: Beauty and the Beast: Lost in a Book

Rating: 4/5

Word to the Wise: The book was slightly darker than I thought it would be. More suited for 12 and older than 10 years old. I also did listen to this book via audio.

What's the Skinny: I think it is fair to say that I am slightly obsessed with the new live action Beauty and the Beast. I found the music to be beautiful with reminiscent qualities to the Broadway production, the costumes whimsical, and the story was fresh. In fact since Sleeping Beauty is my favorite, I'm starting to feel gypped with this whole Maleficent shenanigans. So my expectations for this book were slightly higher than what was delivered. 

I found the way Belle to be written, that she was more whiny rather than brave and thoughtful. Her character was the most puzzling to me because she actually seemed fearful rather than what the movie portrays Belle as, a modern girl for her time. 

Also, some of the plot points do not really match up with the movie and the book. Yes, both are purely fiction and there is supposed to be an element of separation of the two stories, but honestly, I wanted them to match up and the timeline events seemed a bit fuzzy and inaccurate to me. 

As for the actual story, this is what sold me on the review being a 4 instead of something maybe lower. The story itself is very unique. I enjoyed the plot and some of the twists that came from the added characters to the book. I originally thought Nevermore was a part of the book that the Enchantress left for the Beast in the movie but they are actually two entirely different books. There really is no movement in the plot itself, it is the traditional fairytale you know and love with some added adventures that we assume the movie did not have time to divulge to us. 

I've enjoyed Jennifer Donnelly's books when I was in sixth grade and part of junior high. Honestly, I would say this book is perfect for your junior higher who is obsessed with Beauty and the Beast. I did find it enjoyable and a quick read (even listening to it via audio). If you are into Beauty and the Beast then you need to check out this book. It will be quick but nothing short of enjoyable. 

If Case You Read the Back of Books: An original addition to the beloved Beauty and the Beast fairy tale, Lost in a Book follows the lonely, bookish Belle as she finds an enchanted book in the Beast's library called Nevermore that carries her into a glittering new world. There, Belle is befriended by a mysterious countess who offers her the life she's always dreamed of. But Nevermore is not what it seems, and the more time Belle spends there, the harder it is to leave. Good stories take hold of us and never let us go, and once Belle becomes lost in this book, she may never find her way out again. This deluxe hardcover novel expands upon the beautiful story and world seen in the new Walt Disney Studios' film, Beauty and the Beast.

Buy HERE

Comments

Popular Posts